Ginkgo : portrait of a dryad

29 July 2010


Portrait of a ginkgo tree dryad
watercolour and coloured pencil on paper
July 2010

In Greek mythology, a dryad is a tree nymph/spirit, who not only lives in the tree, but is also part of it. This particular dryad is part of a ginkgo tree, a tree of memory, grace, and tenacity.

I've had the image of this painting in my head for several weeks... she appeared, and she waited, patient, but ever present. The painting first came to my mind while I was walking Ola by the park, where there is a cluster of tall, gorgeous ginkgos. I saw some of the delicate leaves on the pavement, morning sunlight trickling over their veins, and then POW, the painting appeared. I'm happy to say that her portrait came out exactly as I saw her in my mind's eye.

2 comments:

Janie Husband said...

thanks to tam, i have just come in contact with your blog and web site...your work is beautiful...when i read about you i was shocked to read you studied art at youngstown state university....i was born and raised in youngstown....many years ago...now living in the mountains of north carolina....dream of visiting paris and the wine country.....

Sara said...

what a fabulous blog, I love your work and have started following your blog. Hugs Sara

Post a Comment