Hathor, mixed media painting

23 July 2010


" Hathor "

For this painting, I used :watercolour, coloured pencil, ink, and acrylic paint on medium grain watercolour paper.

(The size is 4" x 6" )

I wanted to add some hieroglyphics, so I did some searching online, and I found how to make the symbol for Hathor's name (which is a hawk (Horus) in a square (temple), with a smaller square (temple hat) to the side, representing the sounds of her name Hat-Hor, which is a compound of Horus in the Temple.

I also managed to find several sites for translating my own name, which was a little tricky, because I had to omit most of the vowels and double letters. I thought adding my own name, as a kind of signature, would be a nice touch. Originally, I intended to add a cartouche around my signature, but it just didn't work well with the composition, so in the end, I left it out.

The hieroglyphics on the left spell:
Goddess Hathor (followed by her Hathor's name symbol), beauty, power.

On the right spell:
Bonnie Rose (followed by the symbol for "woman", which comes at the end of a woman's name)


Although the scanner didn't capture it, I used metallic gold acrylic paint for the golden details on her necklace, hair, and sun disk, as well as on her upper eyelids.



The Egyptian Goddess, Hathor :

Often depicted with a cow's head, she is a Goddess of : the sky, love, beauty, music, alcoholic drinks, joy, and motherhood. She rules the direction West, and holds great power in the Underworld.

Female counterpart and wife of Thoth.

In a complicated relationship Hathor is at times the mother, daughter
and wife of Ra and, like Isis, is at times described as the mother of
Horus, and associated with Bast.

In some myths, she is another incarnation of Isis, as Isis is
decapitated by Horus, and her head is replaced with a cow's head.
Therefore, Hathor is sometimes considered to Isis-in-death. When humans
died, women became a form of Hathor, while men became a form of Osiris.

The Ancient Greeks identified Hathor with the goddess Aphrodite and the Romans as Venus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment