One for sorrow

09 July 2010

One for sorrow
(acrylic, graphite, coloured pencil, and ink on canvas)
20 x 20 cm

One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told

(Traditional rhyme about the magpie)


I've had magpies on the brain lately, so I'm certain there are more magpie themed paintings to come.

For this particular painting, I had the idea in my head, clear and certain, before I sat down to make it. I'm happy to say that the finished work is remarkably close to the way I pictured it in my mind's eye! It's always nice when that happens. (^_^)

The rhyme, which has origins in the Ireland and the British Isles, is one of many similar versions. I find it intriguing, almost mesmerizing, as it speaks with a slight hint of esoterics, fundamental human truths, and mysteries.

0 comments:

Post a Comment