Radiant

31 July 2010


"I don't want to die! I want to stay here in the beautiful sun..."

_Charlotte's Web_ by E.B. White
This book changed my life. ♥

This is a mixed media ATC (2.5" x 3.5") created for the monthly Art Trading group at willowing.ning.com. July's theme was Favourite Children's Book, so of course I was doing this book!

It's titled : "Radiant (Wilbur & Charlotte)" and made with paper collage, ink, graphite, coloured pencils, and acrylic paints on paper and cardstock.


_Charlotte's Web_ is my all-time fav book from my childhood... I made my mom read about a million times, and when I learned to read it myself, I read it a million more! I still have the well-loved and rainwaterstained paperback copy , a childhood treasure.

And yes, it really did change my life...

16 October 1980, my 8th birthday, sitting in a touristy restaurant in Niagara Falls, Canada, it occurred to me that my slice of Canadian bacon used to be a living, breathing, loving animal... it used to be Wilbur. And Wilbur certainly didn't want to die. I sat there starring at it, thinking, "If I eat this pig, that means I murdered it." Honestly folks, that didn't sit well with me at all. From that moment on, I swore off eating pigs, because I could not, in all good conscience, bear the pain and guilt of having murdered Wilbur (or any other pig who might as well have been him.)

That day was the first day of my journey into vegetarianism, and now I can say, in all sincerity and with jubilation: Today, I didn't murder anybody's best friend.



If you don't own it already, go get it! You'll be so glad you did (^_^)

http://www.amazon.com/Charlottes-Web-E-B-White/dp/0064410935/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280569475&sr=8-1

.

1 comments:

Sara said...

I used to love charlottes web too, it used to make me cry. I also loved the film babe, that was good as well. I love your ATC and blog. I have got your blog on my favourite blog list hugs Sara

Post a Comment