Burritos! Meatless Monday ... belated

10 August 2010

This week's Meatless Monday post is a day late, sorry... I was caught up with visiting family yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to post. However, my Tuesday is just as meatless as my Monday, so it's all good!


Food for Thought :

Vegetarians are 50 percent less likely to develop heart disease, and they have 40 percent of the cancer rate of meat-eaters.


(sources:
Elizabeth Somer, "Eating Meat: A Little Doesn't Hurt," WebMD, 1999.
Neal Barnard, M.D., The Power of Your Plate, Book Publishing Co.: Summertown, Tenn., 1990, p. 26. )




This week's Vegan Delight is: Burritos!

Made with soy proteins (you might know it as veggie crumble,) onions, tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, herbs & spices, and some giant cherry tomatoes on the side.

I buy my soy proteins dry, rather than pre-cooked and frozen, so I boiled the granules in water (with some oil, salt, and cumin powder,) for about 25 min. to flavour and soften them.

While the proteins were cooking, I sautéed diced onion and yellow bell pepper in a hot skillet with olive oil, then added diced tomatoes, minced garlic, cumin powder, a few dashes of dried basil and sage, black pepper, salt, and a couple pinches of chili powder. Once the veggies were ready, I added the soy proteins, plain tomato sauce, a pinch of sugar, and gave it a good stir.

I spooned the mix (2 Tbs. each) into soft tortillas, and rolled them up, with a little drizzle of olive oil and some dried parsley as a garnish. Yum !

Here's an idea: If you don't have soy protein granules/veggie crumble, just break apart a veggie burger, crumble some tofu, or use beans, instead.

I hope your Meatless Monday was delicious!


Eat. Think. Feel. Be well <3


.

1 comments:

Janie Husband said...

thanks for another great meatless meal..... ;)

Post a Comment