Whimsical Animals

03 September 2010

This week's lesson of Tamara Laporte's World of Whimsy 2 workshop has been so inspiring! We've been making funny little animals... I had such a great time discovering new ways of making little fuzzy critter people!




"Kira San"
watercolour, acrylic, and graphite on paper
10 x 15 cm

This is a portrait of my white-faced Roborovski dwarf hamster, Kira San (his name is Japanese, and it means Mr. Light)... he's crazy about peanuts, as you can see!

I used some metalic gold acrylic paint that, sadly, didn't want to show up properly in the photos. The actual painting has a golden gossimer shimmer.








"Drummer Bunny"
acrylic, graphite, and collage/ink transfer on wood
15 x 15 cm

"Drummer Bunny" is the first painting I've ever done on wood... although I was intimidated at the start, I really got into it, and now I'm certain I'll be doing more wood-based artworks in the days to come.

This is also the first time I've successfully managed an ink transfer! I used some of the music sheets, which I transfered onto the acrylic paint layers with acrylic gel medium, leaving a few bits of the paper during the rubbing-off phase of the transfer, because I really liked the subtle grunginess it created, giving a slight textural collaged effect to the background.

This painting was inspired by someone I know... it's a sort of imagined and whimsified portrait. I love the way it turned out; it really makes me smile (^_^)








"hello Mr. Zebra"
acrylic paint, watercolour, graphite, coloured pencil, in pen, collage/ink transfer, glitter on paper
10 x 15 cm

I finished this one last night... I'm loving these animals! (^_^)<3

This painting is an illustration of the Tori Amos song, "Mr. Zebra"

The lyric is: "Hello Mr. Zebra, can I have your sweater? 'cause it's cold, cold, cold in my hole, hole, hole..."

I used the sheet music from the song in the background.

Layers upon layers of acrylic paint, watercolours, coloured pencil, acrylic medium ink transfer, collage, and glitter. (Sadly the lavender glitter doesn't show up in the scan, it looks blackish-greyish... the whole painting is shimmering with it, as well as green glitter in her eyes, and iridescent glitter on the "bubbles")

This is the first time I've tried the bubble-wrap technique. I think it worked well. (even better than I had expected!) Overall, I'm really pleased with how the whole piece turned out. It went through a few "disasterous" phases before I got the colours just as I wanted them, so I'm glad I stuck with it!

2 comments:

Cameron said...

These are so much fun!!! You talk of disastrous phases, and yet....they look so effortless....so perfectly adorable!

GERI CENTONZE said...

I love these precious little animals - your style is so sweet! I admired your coffee paintings on the willowing ning site and was so happy to find your blog

Post a Comment