"Une Ange de Compassion" (new painting)

15 February 2011

This was a really fun painting to make... It's the first time that I've painted a large angel, and the first time I've used watersoluable crayons, too (both experiences being quite rewarding!) It is inspired by Week 3 of Willowing's Mythical Making workshop at http://willowing.ning.com. The project was to create a mixed media angel, representing compassion and safety, in the style of Alphonse Mucha.

Mucha is one of my most favourite painters in the whole wide world, and has always been a major influence on my work. It was wonderful to have a conversation with his spirit while sketching for this painting.



Although I deviated from the suggested mediums (I didn't use acrylics, stamping, or leaf,) I did stay with "mixed media" by using water soluable crayons, watercolour (pans and pencils) and coloured pencil.

It's done on 36 x 48 cm watercolour paper (200g/m2)and was worked over 4 days, within a 2 week period. The sketch was one day, most of the painting was done in another, and then I took two days to fine tune the details.

I called it "Une Ange de Compassion" (An Angel of Compassion) and I wanted it to be as if the flowers are pouring from her heart...



details :






Just before finishing the painting, I learned that my grandmother passed away... Coming back to work on the painting, a week later, there was something comforting about it, and I found that the angel's expression started to change a bit... she was telling me, "everything will be ok." <3



As an added point of interest, I asked my husband too look up the astrological chart for this painting (using the time and date of when it was finished) and he said that the asteroid "angel" was almost exactly overhead... I thought that was pretty cool!

6 comments:

Janie Husband said...

Oh, Bonnie, this is gorgeous... the detail is amazing....

Pagan said...

It's beautiful Bonnie - like the spirit of your Grandmother coming through. I also lost my Grandmother this month - I'm glad you found comfort through art. The entire painting seems to embody that feeling of comfort and serenity. Lovely -x-

heather noye said...

BEautiful painting. And very sorry for the loss of your Grandmother

Shalini said...

She is very pretty! I love the way you have detailed her wings... Thanks for sharing the details too..
I am very sorry for your loss Bonnie

Cameron said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother....it's amazing how this angel materialized when she was needed.....beautiful and healing.....she is truly something special.

Janny said...

Really beautiful! And sorry for your loss.

Post a Comment