The 29 Faces of May Challenge : Faces 1 - 9

11 May 2012

This month, I'm taking part in the
 "29 Faces of May" challenge !

I started by making little doodles and sketches on postcard sized paper, but today I pulled out the big block of watercolour paper and did a couple of paintings on the easel.

I found out about the challenge from Effy : http://theglitterhood.com/
The challenge originated with Ayla : http://ilove2paint.blogspot.fr/



 Here are my faces, thus-far :




#1: "White Rabbit"
ink, coloured pencil, and watercolour on paper
postcard sized 

 I felt good to break out the coloured pencils... it'd been a while.




 #2: "Little Rose"
 ink, coloured pencil, and watercolour on paper
                                                                        postcard sized

 I once saw a Victorian card with an image of a cherubesqe face
 in a rose bloom. I loved it, and the idea has been stuck in my
 head for a couple of years; it finally surfaced in this little drawing.





 #3: "Champagne"
 ink, coloured pencil, and watercolour on paper
                                                                        postcard sized




 #4: "Rabbit Hearted Girl" (sketch of Florence Welch)
 ink on paper
                                                                        postcard sized

 In this quick sketch of Florence (of Florence + the Machine),
 I wanted to keep it loose and scratchy.



 #5: "sketch of Marilyn Monroe"
graphite on paper
                                                                        postcard sized 
 
A quick 10 min. sketch of the lovely Marilyn.



 #6: "Summer"
 ink and coloured pencil on paper
                                                                        postcard sized


 #7: "Season of Aries"
 ink and coloured pencil on paper
                                                                        postcard sized 
 A fun little doodle. I wanted to practice shadows.


 #8: "Sophia" (portrait of Sophia Loren)
eye shadow and graphite on paper
                                                                      36 x 48 cm

 For this painting, I wanted to keep it light and soft. 
I used a mix of grey, blue, black, and pale violet
 eye shadows to create my own pigmented washes.



 #9: "Florence" (portrait of Florence Welch)
Watercolour, eye shadow, ink and graphite on paper
                                                                      36 x 48 cm

I revisted the sketch I'd done a couple days ago 
("Rabbit Hearted Girl") this time, in vibrant colours.

8 comments:

Cia of Briarwood Studio said...

All gorgeous, Bonnie, as always.

Cameron said...

These are each wondrous and amazing! I just love your work!

Sophie said...

i just love your art. you are such a talent. i'm looking forward to seeing more of this challenge :)
sophie
princessrhyme.blogspot.com

Sabrina said...

I am loving all of your characters but this latest one is my favorite so far. I love the drips and splatters you included in the work. Very powerful!

Linda said...

I can't decide which is my favorite because they are all so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I think I'll have to follow your blog so I can learn a few things. :)

NatashaMay said...

They are all fantastic! I really love your style and your lesson in LB was one of my favorites. :)

Bonnie Rose Bryan said...

Thank you ladies! So happy that you enjoyed my work :)
I'm really getting into this challenge!

Mimi said...

Wow! Viewing all of this is a Feast for the Eyes!...I don't usually think of Sophia of having a soft side but you really showed me that she does while keeping her seductive side intact! It is one Beautiful and Emotionally- Moving Portrait!... "Rabbit Hearted Girl" in Vibrant Colors is nothing less than Luscious..."Little Rose" is as true to its genre as any original Victorian painting is....Great work, Bonnie Rose!

Post a Comment