Happy Birthday "Little Earthquakes" : 2 New Tori Amos portraits (Face #14)

18 May 2012

In celebration of the 20th anniversary of Tori's first solo album, Little Earthquakes, I wanted to make a few paintings that are inspired by the music and mood of the magnum album that has made such an extraordinary impact on my life.

I began with "Little Earthquakes", which is a study of a photo by Cindy Palmano, from the album's artwork (one of my all-time fav pics of Tori.)

I encircled (or rather en-cubed?!) the piano with my favourite lyrics from the title track, the mantra : "Give me life, give me pain, give me my self again".



"Little Earthquakes" 
(study of a photo by Cindy Palmano)
watercolour, graphite, gesso and collage on paper
32 x 24 cm
14 May 2012


I've been doing a lot of works over gesso-covered collage lately... this painting is one them. 
(Love that texture!) 




The next portrait is inspired by my favourite song on the album : Precious Things
I wanted to capture the powerful energy of the song, so I stuck to a limited colour palette of fiery tones, juxtaposed with stark black.

(This is also the 14th face in my "29 Faces of May" challenge.)

"Precious Things"
watercolour, ink, and graphite on paper
46 x 38 cm
17 May 2012




Happy Birthday, Little Earthquakes!

1 comments:

Viola said...

Oh my.. how good you are! the lady by the piano so vivid! and the last lady here, I just love her! :)

Post a Comment