Odin : a work in progress

22 August 2013

I've been working on a coloured pencil portrait of Odin  (another illustration for the book, Even Odd.)

When I first started doing sketches, he was looking more like a wizard or a psycho Santa Claus, and I got so frustrated that I nearly gave up... then, the night before last, I woke up in the wee hours, and a whole new composition hit me! Right after breakfast, I set to work, and everything was coming together nicely.

The moral of the story is: Don't give up! Trust it. Sleep on it... until it's ready to show you how it's supposed to look.


Beginning... measuring, sketching, planning...


Added his pair of ravens and some clothing details...

The runic alphabet,Yggdrasil (the Tree of Life), and more details to his crown ...


 Sketched in his pair of wolves as knotwork...
Colouring and defining with black coloured pencil...

... the saga continues...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Never give up" - an appropriate tribute to Odin both in word and art! Your Odin portrait is truly "high art," reminiscent of DaVinci and Albrect Durer.


Effy said...

Realllllly love this, Bonnie!

Bonnie Rose Bryan said...

Thanks Anonymous (mom, I know it's you! hehe) and Effy :)

Post a Comment