Pretty Daisies (portrait of Tori Amos)

04 January 2014

"Pretty Daisies (portrait of Tori Amos)"
watercolour and graphite on A4 paper


Happy 20th Anniversary to Under the Pink! (Amos' 2nd album)

This painting was inspired by the song "God" (the title comes from the lyrics.)
"God" was the first Tori song I ever heard. I was 13, and I had stayed up late to watch Mtv, when everyone else was asleep. I remember thinking, "Who is this?!! This song is awesome!"  It was love at first listen!

I bought Under the Pink the very next day (my first Tori album) and I remember rushing home to play it for my mom. We sat on the floor of her room, and listened to it over and over again... we were both hypnotised. I'll never forget what it felt like to hear Tori's music for the first time; the magic and awe of that moment always makes me misty-eyed and shivery when I think of it.

That summer, my mom and I went to the concert, in Cleveland, Ohio (my first Tori show.)
 Of course, I cried through the whole thing.

Falling in love with Under the Pink changed my life, in so many wonderful ways. She opened all sorts of spiritual and coming-of-age doors for me, and some of my most powerful personal mantras have come from her lyrics.

This album began my journey with Tori Amos' music... a journey that has lead me into all sorts of amazing, healing, and magical places, places both on the land and in the mind,  including places of self-understanding, self-empowerment, and endless inspiration. While on this journey, I've made some of the finest friends a person could ever have, friends who really connect, deep-down in the soul, just like the music, itself.

I cannot imagine my life without Under The Pink; she will always be my BFF. <3




"You make pretty daisies, pretty daisies, Love..."


"I gotta find, find, find why you always go when the wind blows..."

"God sometimes you just don't come through.
Do you need a woman to look after you?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment