Dixie (portrait of Tori Amos)

18 June 2014

"Dixie" 
(portrait of Tori Amos)
watercolour, graphite, coloured pencil, and ink on A4 paper
17 and 18 June 2014

A commissioned portrait, inspired by the song Dixie (a B-side from Amos' newest album).

The song is a simple, but sweet and sentimental story about a daughter and mother, winter window shopping together, and the way that her mother's love makes her "the richest girl in Dixieland".

(The lyric "She is still holding my hand" was requested, along with the piano and the shoe.)

Here's the song... enjoy a listen:



I wanted to capture the sweetness and feminity of the story, along with the cool feeling of winter. 


 

"Look away... Look again... She is still holding my hand..."


1 comments:

James Sweeney said...

I like you firey fairy. I don't do visual art. I followed you from the tori site. Its good, and interesting. I write, nonfiction, some small fiction, and poems; now mostly on Debate Dot Org; but I have been in a row lately with a more traditional (formal) Poet, and it may not be pretty to witness. Because I write an occasional poem does not make me a poet. If I have something to say, I would rather just say it, with non fiction prose. Any way; I like art, and have seen some great art in Atlanta, Chicago, New York, and Detroit, which I live not far from in Michigan. Check out the grave of Baudelaire, and of course, Jim Morrison, of the Doors. I have never been to France. When my son, now 40 and an attorney was young, He told me: The girls in France don't wear no pants and the boys run around with their dingies hanging down... I thought: I have to see that some day.

Post a Comment