La Douleur

05 October 2014

La Douleur 
(The Pain) 
acrylic and gesso over paper collage
A3  (11.7" x 16.5")
4 October 2014

The first of the 6 paintings I did yesterday . . .

. . . exploring the my physical and emotional feelings of suffering. 
This one, La Douleur, as one might guess, about my back pain. 

I have a crooked spine, which has given me chronic and often debilitating pain, for as long as I can remember. As I get older, it gets worse... I've lost 2 inches in my height over the past decade, and there are 2 discs under compression. The upper disc, which is just between my shoulders, behind the solar plexus, sometimes pinches a nerve, which gives me searing and relentless pain that can last for months at a time.

Having been quite crushed under the feeling throughout September; I needed to release some of it through my brushes...

(lots of pics behind the cut....)






. . . all that texture!
 I love working over paper collage.







I bashed and scrubbed a hole through the paper and gesso layers with my brush, 
creating the event horizon of the pain . . .
















0 comments:

Post a Comment