Ashre Ashre (portrait of Tori Amos)

11 November 2014

"Ashre Ashre"
a portrait of Tori Amos
chalk pastel on tinted A4 paper
11 November 2014

Inspired by the song Muhammed, My Friend, from the album Boys For Pele.

As I was drawing, the lyrics  "ashre, ashre, ashre ..." and "Moses I know, I know you've seen fire, but you've never seen fire, until you've seen Pele blow!" kept coming into my head. I sang as I worked, and I tried to bring a fiery glow into the drawing, in keeping with Pele's energy.

Yesterday, I bought a block of tinted pastel paper... Canson... beautiful... sumptuous texture... how could I not dive right in?! It's been a long time (omg, years!.. really? yes!) since I worked on tinted paper. It's so different to work lights into darks, rather than the other way around, and it really forces me to approach my drawing from a totally different part of my brain.

More pics after the cut . . .








0 comments:

Post a Comment